ATV Riding Archives | Bryce Canyon Country

ATV Riding Utah

Atv Riding / July 16, 2018

Much of Utah's breathtaking scenery is not accessible by passenger cars and RVs. That doesn't mean you can't get to it with the right set of wheels in the summer or tracks in the winter.

Off the Beaten Track

With thousands of square miles suited to four-wheel-drive and designated open to off-highway vehicles (OHV), all-terrain vehicles (ATV) and snowmobiles, off-highway trips have become one of Utah's most popular pastimes.

Not all areas are open to OHV and ATV use. Utah's mountains and deserts are fragile, remote and often adjacent to private land, so it is important to heed all rules and restrictions in order to protect yourself and the landscape. Check with Forest Service, BLM, or State Park offices, before exploring on your own. Employees of these land agencies can provide suggestions, maps, and accurate information on area conditions. and can also give you more information about off-roading in Utah.

Rules of the road

Any OHV (ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile) must display a current OHV registration sticker. Most non-resident OHV operators are required to purchase a Non-resident OHV Permit for each ATV, OHM and snowmobile they bring into the state. These permits are available from vendors located near popular OHV destinations. A complete list of vendors is available from Utah State Parks and Recreation office listed below.

Non-Resident OHV Registration: Utah Division of Parks and Recreation Non-resident Off-Highway Vehicle User Permits (801) 538-7220

• Children under eight-years old age are not allowed to operate any OHV on public lands, roads or trails in Utah.
• All riders eight through 15 years old must possess an Education Certificate issued or recognized by Utah State Parks.
• Operators 16 and older may drive OHVs, if they have either a valid driver's license or an OHV Education Certificate.
• Helmets are encouraged for everyone and are required for those under 18.
• "Protect Your Privilege, Stay on the Trail." Always ride in control and within your abilities. NEVER drink and ride!

Tread Lightly

• The Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Statute states that registered off-highway vehicles may be operated on public land, trails, streets, or highways that are posted by sign or designated by map or description as open to off-highway vehicle use by the controlling federal, state, county, or municipal agency. According to this law, all roads, etc. are closed to ATVs unless posted open.
• On U.S. Forest Service and BLM-administered land, off-highway use of any vehicle is permitted in designated areas only. Check with local agency offices for brochures and maps of appropriate areas.
• There are also numerous recreational vehicle areas within or adjacent to state parks. Again, check to determine proper use areas.
• Off-highway vehicle use is NOT allowed in most national parks, wilderness areas, or on lake shores.

Southern Utah

Maps of each complex are available at: Utah State Parks and Recreation, 1594 W. North Temple St, Salt Lake City, 84114, (801) 538-7220